.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Heavy-Handed Politics

"€œGod willing, with the force of God behind it, we shall soon experience a world
without the United States and Zionism."€ -- Iran President Ahmadi-Nejad

Friday, May 14, 2010

Plan for mosque near World Trade Center site moves ahead
A proposal to build a mosque steps from Ground Zero received the support of a downtown committee despite some loved ones of 9/11 victims finding it offensive.

Daisy Khan, of the American
Society for Muslim Advancement and Cordoba Initiative
, said her group hopes construction on the project will begin by the
10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks."


Many find this offensive, including some of the 9/11 families. What's more, what's up with a "Cordoba Initiative'? Cordoba?  As in Caliphate of Cordoba? And the mosque is to be named "the Cordoba House."

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliphate_of_Córdoba

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

3 Comments:

  • I do not know what is more offensive, your use of Wikipedia to prove your argument or your third grade approach to connecting the dots, Nancy Drew. First, in the name of full disclosure, let me say that I am agnostic and I am not here to defend any form of religion. That said, your mischaracterization of the Cordoba initiative as some part of the Caliphate of Cordoba is comical, if it were not sad that people with come here and read this and believe, thinking all along that you are some genius for putting this together. As someone who just wrote basically spent six month studying the economic history of the Middle East, which includes Andalusia, I have used materials from the Cordoba Institute as second hand source. I can tell you that they are not named after the Caliphate of Cordoba, and they christian theologians on their board. As for their name, based on the readings I have found, this group idealizes the CITY of Cordoba, which was for a brief period in time the largest city in Europe and the World. It also was a city known for tolerance, in which all three religions worked together and ruled together. Most of the work put out by the institute also takes a critical view of how Islam became more intolerant during the years after Cordoba, the city, fell from prominence. But I guess doing research beyond Wikipedia seem like it is too much for conservatives to do.

    By Blogger Bigvic, at 5:48 AM  

  • A 21 year old elitist genius. How nice.

    You are easily offended. So sad.

    Grow up. Grow a couple. Man up.

    By Blogger HeavyHanded, at 7:53 PM  

  • I guess you don't understand mock offense or what a hyperbole is. Well either way, I stand by my criticism of your use of Wikipedia as a source and your clear lack of research into this topic. I don't know how to respond to a response that instead of dealing with the subjects just tries to insult me, and in a petty and juvenile manner may I add. But I guess I can't expect much from someone whose argument is clearly lacking any substance.

    By Blogger Bigvic, at 5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home